Tuesday 17 December 2019

Geiger PCB not going well

Well, I thought I had it sorted, but on powering the HV circuit on the new PCB it wouldn't work. I've checked the layout and the circuitry, and the voltages, and I can't see what is wrong with it, but it won't oscillate.

My suspicion is that I've killed one of the transistors, probably the PNP BC327. For some reason, I have trouble getting my head around the emitter NOT normally going to GND!

This is quite annoying as I had hoped to have it working this evening!

I'm still awaiting delivery of my new 'scope, but at least the seller has actually shipped it now! Amazingly though, the little kit oscilloscope from China has arrived!

Chinese 200kHz TFT Oscilloscope Kit
 The SMT components are all pre-mounted, only the through hole parts need soldering, so it should be a quick and easy build. I'm a little miffed that the display is not exactly squared on the PCB, but its not a deal-breaker!


Update - Well, both of the main transistors test fine! So at the moment I'm really stumped!

No comments: