Saturday 21 December 2019

Si-I-19BG G-M tube replaced and working!

Readers may recall that I bought an SI-19BG miniature Geiger-Müller tube from ebay seller 2015_Gurie in the Ukraine, and the delivered tube would not work. Some discussion with the seller resulted in an agreement to supply a replacement, on the understanding that if I couldn't make that one work (i.e. it was likely my fault not the tubes) I would return both.
Well, today at 15:50 - conveniently as I was acceptance testing the Owon oscilloscope, using the Geiger detector circuit as a signal source - the replacement tube was delivered.

After visually inspecting it and being happy it was undamaged physically, I connected it in place of the BOI-33 tube - and nothing happened! At this point I was a little miffed, but, I had a shiny new oscilloscope in front of me monitoring the cathode port - and yes, there were very faint, low level pulses! In fact, looking at the indicator LED of the Geiger circuit in the dark, I could see it occasionally flash dimly.

Ah-ha! So, this tube is doing something! So, what is amiss that prevents a good count pulse? The first thing to eliminate is the additional capacitance and resistance of the croc-clip leads used to connect the tube. With the first, faulty tube, I had an anode 4M7 resistor connected right to the tubes short anode lead, but this time, I was using the boards anode resistor, and a 30cm long croc-clip lead. So, I moved the anode lead of the tube to the anode clip on the board, and just used one croc-clip to secure it - and yes! Good, strong pulses and indications!



Of course, being such a tiny tube, its sensitivity is nothing like that of the BOI-33. Its background count is around 2cpm, compared with the BOI-33's 20cpm, but, it is a fraction of the size! It is also an end-window device, so is most sensitive from that end and little from around the body. This is fine though for a sub-miniature detector intended for sniffing out sources at charity shops and flea-markets! I think this tube will go into a circuit using 555 timers as HV generator and monostable indicator, but that will need to wait until I receive the project boxes from China.

No comments: