Monday 23 December 2019

Thinking the other way up!

All the Geiger circuits im working on, are intended for portable use, and so need the lowest voltage and lowest current supplies, to make them compact...

...but not the 1600V supply for the MST-17! This tube is far too delicate for portable use, and will only ever be used on the bench.. so why the heck am I trying to make it work from such low voltages? I know I can get 1500V from a 9V battery, even with the simple blocking oscillator circuit, so almost certainly I can get well above this, and hence enough to feed the regulator chain, with 12V!

As my bench PSU goes up to 30V, I can choose any voltage up to this, I'm not limited to a small battery for this tube!

Incidentally, the CCFL transformer I've been playing with has a primary of about 30 turns (found by unwinding one), so I can also rewind for a better turns ratio if I wish.

No comments: