Wednesday 20 November 2019

Spot the mistake?

Yes, I made rather a silly mistake on retuning the SARBE-5 AUX channel - I tuned it to 290.05MHz... which is NOT the frequency for N/E ICF! That should be 270.05MHz!

The tuning range as is of these receivers is maybe 20MHz wide, so it maybe that I will have to modify the inductors to get the frequency I want!

I'll start the scanner running though and see if I can find an active frequency close to the original 282MHz, to tune to for testing off-air.

As for the poor sensitivity of the main EMG channel, ive found little fault-finding information, so other than dry joints, my only target at present is the transistor. These of course are obsolete types, but luckily, the Tx side uses a few of them, that I can pinch.


Update - Although im yet to repair the EMG channel, I have found that the AUX channel, designed to center at 282MHz, will tune down to the NE ICF frequency, and in fact lower -Ive successfully tuned it to 262.95MHz - the Zone frequency for RAF Leeming. Whether the 20uV sensitivity is sufficient to hear much, well, that remains to be heard!

No comments: