Thursday 21 November 2019

Bit of G-M H.T.

A long, long time ago, someone kindly donated me a Mullard ZP1481 Mica End-Window Geiger-Müller tube. Whether this was working or not was not known, and it was my intention to build a circuit to test it. Of course, I got sidetracked and its been sat on the shelf waiting for me to get around to it.

So this weekend, it is slated as my no.1 workshop task! My original design, if I recall, called for a rather special pulse transformer, which I didn't have at the time and still don't! The circuit I intend building this weekend uses a much simpler method of generating the required high voltage by utilising inductor back-EMF (flyback) and capacitor-diode multipliers.

With any luck, the circuit will work, the tube will work, and I can then add on a counter/indicator circuit, turning the circuit into a fully fledged Geiger Counter!

No.2 task in the workshop, will be to change the transistor in the EMG channel receiver of the SARBE-5, and see if that solves the poor receive sensitivity issue.

The 2xAA battery holders arrived today, so one is now fitted, with batteries, into the Euromarine RDF unit. All I need to do now is find some compatible headphones!

No comments: