Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Theremin and CW

Yesterday, I decided enough was enough, and that the power supply for Daz's theremin just had to be completed. So, with a mug of tea, and the fan heater running flat out, i ventured into the garage and cracked on. A bit of customising was required on the case, but the power supply is now finished. +/- 12v dual rail, independently fused, to a standard 5pin 180deg DIN plug. I can now, when i have the time, start working on the main Theremin circuit again.

I also built an incredibly simple circuit - a meter tester. This is nothing more than a 1M linear pot and a AA battery, housed in an old shaving stick. Yet, oddly, it doesnt seem to work properly! Everything seems to measure ok, but when on a meter, its all or nothing. Odd.

Since ive decided to make the concerted effort to master morse, I though as well that getting the practice oscillator running properly was in order. Up until now, the headphone output had a strange 'drop-off' tail on key up. The output transistor, a BFY51, was feeding the speaker via a 100uF electrolytic and a 100 ohm emitter load as a common emitter circuit. I suspect the cap was responsible for the problem with phones at low levels. I tested it today with the load resistor replaced by an audio transformer, and the speaker and phone socket on the secondary, and it seems to work just fine. Only problem, it no longer fits the box its in. So rebuilding it will have to await the Wakefield rally in a couple of weeks to aquire a suitable box.

The next little project is just that, little! I have a stash of ZN414 equivalents, and Sam has shown an interest in a matchbox receiver. Its a long time since i built a little AM receiver, so i think we'll have a go at this. Just need the matchbox!

No comments: