Thursday 19 November 2020

1:48 Merlin Helicopter Build Restarts

 With so many long term projects, Ive finally pushed myself to bring out the Merlin. My boys bought me this as a present a couple of years ago now, and for various reasons it was shelved awaiting better times.

Part of the problem is with the paints. I wouldnt normally do a 1:48 scale, I much prefer 1:72, which are large enough for me, without too much fiddly detail. On a 1:48 kit, especially one of an aircraft with multiple projections (antennas, scanner optic, lamps, Pitots etc) there is an immense amount of tiny parts each with their own painting requirements. Its possible to spend a lot of money on paint to do no more than one or two brush strokes! But since it was a present from my boys, I couldnt skip anything!

Much of today has been spent doing very fine exterior parts, antennas etc, and building the tail rotor. Dozens of parts painted, assembled, installed, and apart from it now standing on its own wheels - it looks no further on!

No comments: