Thursday 14 February 2019

Project Round Up

Several projects are now either coming to completion or entering a more technical phase. The QRP Labs VFO kit just requires a little reshaping of its case and the addition of a suitable regulator for its 5v supply. I only have a single 7805 device spare, and these waste a heck of a lot of power as heat, so am looking instead to use a Buck converter here. I happen to have the PCB from a broken (physically) USB car charger, which I think will do nicely.

With the VFO complete, I can then start to experiment with the PRC-349s!

The QRP Labs 5W PA kit is now complete save for testing and alignment. I think I can get away with setting up the bias on the bench, but the rest might need to wait for its installation into the U3S case.

5w PA prior to adding the power devices
Modifications to the U3S include the addition of an RF changeover relay and another RF connector for the switched through antenna to feed a receiver, plus perhaps a couple of auxiliary relays, and new firmware. But before that, the QLG1 GPS has to be mounted into its specially 3D printed box and bolted to the top of the U3S case! Many thanks to my colleague Alex for that.

The PRC-344 Scan Control project has completed design phase, and now requires software! This means ive to learn to code in C for a PIC16F887! Im no coder so this is probably going to be the most difficult part of the project! I'll get the basic 'Blind Scan' system working first, before considering the remote control and battery monitor functions - all of which require some very clever features! Ultimately though learning the coding will lead to the remote VFO controller for the PRC-320!

Ive also got to repair my ladders, for which a number of 100mm M5 bolts are on order. But before ANY of this work can be completed, I have to finish replacing the mains distribution in the workshop, oh and put a couple of wines on...


No comments: