Wednesday 21 December 2016

Air Test on the NEL Tornado

By the time I had my new NEL Tornado 12x13" Double D coil installed on my Garrett Ace 250, done the Target ID mod, tidied up, put the pictures up for Julie, and collected my car from the menders, at a mere four ton and a pony for the privilege, it was too dark to do any actual detecting.

I was actually feeling strangely off, as my initial brief air test had seemed rather lacklustre. To the point that I was becoming a bit paranoid that something was wrong. So tonight I found time to pull up someone elses air test of the same coil on the same machine, put mine on exactly the same settings, and try again.

Ive not tested with actual gold yet, but the readings for various coinage in my possession are below -


Coin
Depth in Air/Inches
Notes
£2
12
Bimetal
£1
9.5

50p
11

20p
10

5p
7

2p
11

1p
8
2016 copper washed steel
1948 Half Crown
12

1942 Florin
12

1922 Shilling
9

1954 Sixpence
7

1917 Threepence
7
Silver
1943 Threepence
8
Octagonal Brass
George V Penny
12

1967 Halfpenny
10

1907 Farthing
9.5



These might not be particularly accurate, maybe out half an inch or so, and some of the 12" might even be deeper! My ruler isnt long enough to check! Plus, still learning how this coil behaves, I found the sweep speed has a bearing. They are all 'face on', edge on readings will be lower of course.

But, they do seem quite good depths to me. I will try and get some actual gold readings tomorrow, and also start compiling a list of target ID numbers for the above test coins, plus some typical trash.

No comments: